Our "Dryer".
Our "Kitchen". Please note: no microwave or oven. That means that any left over food has to be able to be eaten cold or heated up on the stove. I bought a 'no-bake' cheesecake- only to realize when we got home that I still didn't have something I needed to make it, a beater. Darn.
Our trash system. We remain a little bewildered by this whole thing. Apparently one is for paper, one is for food, etc. that one would dump into a compost heap, one is for "packaging" and the other is for trash...
Another thing is the milk. Is this just a Europe thing? BOXED MILK. This, in an of it's self has some pros and cons. Con: it's in a box, it just doesn't seem right. And, it tastes just a little more sour than our milk at home (but nothing a little Hershey's chocolate syrup doesn't help). Pro: it stores in the cupboard until you want to open it. No more milk going bad before you've powered through it all. Very handy for a backup supply.
Yesterday we went to the thrift store on base and shelled out four buckaroos for an exersaucer for William. He was so cute when we put him in it. It is fish themed, and he went around in a circle testing out each toy, stopping on the only one that makes noise and has lights. A little starfish that plays twinkle twinkle little star. Last night alone I think that Nathaniel and I heard that song about 20 times in a row. The toy is a winner. I'm trying to not focus on how obnoxious the stupid thing sounds, but rather to focus on how William is learning cause and effect....right?

10 comments:
It's all about the exersaucer.
Yeah, I had that same exersaucer. I disabled the dang song. It was horrifying.
I'd like to hear about all your cooking adventures in that tiny kitchen. Good luck with that!
First, bunny beanie is ADORABLE. Ignore Nathaniel. Second, Josh loved his exersaucer! And you can't beat $4! Cool dryer. It's probably more effective than ours!
ahh! reminds me of italy! so here's what i realized-only really rich people have dryers, but they do exist. the people i worked for had one. i was jealous. does your washer take an hour and a half to do the whites like ours used to? boxed milk-it's sick. sick sick sick. the grocery store we were buy had parmalat brand, which wasn't terrible, but they had this really cheap brand, which is what we got, but made me gag. they also do have fresh milk, but it was came out to like 9 bucks a gallon... but the people i worked for had the real stuff, so you know what i drank when i was there... uh oh. kitchen-yours is way worse than ours was! although we didn't have a microwave either, until one day after like 3 months our landlady came over with one she bought just for us because she thought we needed one because we were american! by that point though, we had gotten used to life without. oh well. sounds like you're having fun! eat some amazing austrian yogurt for me!
Love that you don't have to clean for six months! Enjoy that perk. I'd miss the no microwave thing. I never separate my trash, so I'd be confused too. LOVE the bunny hat. You should have got one in Nathaniel's size -- they could've matched!
Oh I just love Williams expression in that last picture how cute is he!! I can't believe how big he is getting already. It is so fun how you wrote all the pros and cons. That picture of Nathaniel and William is pretty cute love teh bunny beanie. BUT we do need some pictures of you once in a while. Glad you don't have to clean and I love how you look on the bright side of things. Keep it up. What an amazing adventure you will never forget. Wish we were there playing with ya! Can't wait for your next post. Oh Kiera came to Enrichment and she asked how you were and where you were. She said to say hi for her too.
Amber
glad to see your pros out number your cons. that kitchen is miniture though, what are you able to cook?!?!? i am used to the boxed milk thing as we drink soy/rice milk, the shelf storage is very convenient. and the bunny ears stay, haha.
i'm definitely with you on the bunny hat. that is SO adorable! love the kitchen too. cooking should be quite the adventure. you'll probably come home and kiss your microwave. :)
The trash thing is sooo chic and european-wow-having to think that much about my trash would make me a little tired. Ditto to everyone else on the bunny beanie. It is perfect, and I especially like the matching idea that Tracy had. Glad you're there and safe and finding the fun and adventure in this big adjustment. Oh yes, thanks for the box of yarn. There was some lovely stuff in there. I will probably give a lot of it away, I hope that's okay.
That kitchen is serious business. Right down to basics. I remember being stunned by boxed milk in Germany and how people put it on their granola all warmish. YUCK. They also ate their yogurt warm. Never got used to that one :)
Post a Comment