Tuesday, September 11, 2007

livin' la vida loca

Ha- I feel dumb. Nathaniel and I couldn't figure out why we didn't have any comments. I found them all though! Thanks! Somehow the comment moderator was turned on. Strange.
Things here are good! We're adjusting. Hours after we arrived on Thursday at our HO TEL Nathaniel fell over onto the bed sick. He stayed there until he had to get up (about 24 hours later) to go to work. Meanwhile, we had no food. On our drive to the HO TEL the lady who met us at the airport pointed out the street where a grocery store (Toom) was. So- Nathaniel sick in bed, William taking a nap- I trekked out. It is the strangest thing to walk into a grocery store and not know what a single word says. It is so bizarre to think that people live in a different language. Country, sure, I can mentally sort that out. But somehow language. It just is so crazy! I've learned about 4 German phrases, but every time a German person talks to me I freeze up and borderline want to laugh at the funny things coming out of their mouth or just run away. Yesterday I acted like an idiot and just said "no" when this woman asked me something. haha. Oh well- It's been less than 5 days- I'll give myself some time to adjust. Nathaniel is much braver than I am. He took German 101 probably 5 years ago, but he'll walk right up to someone and try to communicate. He's amazing.
On Saturday we just did the essential things- grocery shopping and errands. Sunday was Stake Conference. This coming weekend is a local festival of sorts. I'm excited! There are lots of adventures to be had. Fortunately, new friends in the ward just lent us a Jeep stroller, so now we're all set to go!
Nathaniel and William sleeping in on Saturday. On weekend mornings when William fusses/wakes up Nathaniel picks him up and usually plays with him. This time, he brought him into our bed and they both passed out. The time change was brutal, but I think for the most part we've adjusted.
William getting comfy in his new digs.

William and I take walks during the day. Today was a nice change having the stroller. He's really getting to heavy for me to carry around in the bjorn. Yesterday on our walk we came upon this cool park! I probably had more fun in this swing than William, but that's okay. We take walks every day partly because I haven't figured out which day they clean our room (yay, housekeeping services for 6 months!). So every day when I see the cleaning person I take off so that I won't be here when she comes. So far I know that she doesn't come to our room on Monday or Tuesday...maybe Wednesday....

14 comments:

Misty said...

WOW, Germany! I hope you get used to it and can enjoy your time. I cannot imagine being somewhere where I couldn't understand a thing, GOOD LUCK!

April said...

oh it sounds like you're having fun..that sucks that nathaniel is sick. I don't know if I could be able to go to Germany, cause I'm horrible with learning languages. The 2 years I took of Spanish in school went directly over my head. Anyway, good hearing from you..talk to you later.

T J V said...

brave woman, venturing to the german grocery store alone! and that swing looks like so much fun! i can't wait to see and hear more about your adventure in germany. my mom is jealous and says you will love it, try to make it down to bavaria/munich area.

Kel said...

That park looks great. Wish we could come to the park with you. Love the blue couches!

Marc said...

Du bist eine Deutscherin!!!

Cami said...

That DOES look like an awesome swing. Good luck in another language. Going to England was bad enough for me--people looked at me like I was crazy and I just have an American accent!

Corinne said...

I remember having to buy some "monthly supplies" in Germany and having some very interesting conversations :) It looks SO wonderful to be there!! I'm livin' through you babe :)

Anonymous said...

That's so great Nathaniel is so confident in speaking German. You're are so cute that you want to laugh when they talk to you. So glad you're making friends at church. Have fun!

Amber said...

Oh it is so fun to see pictures and hear about all your adventures. Sorry about Nathaniel being sick that was a bummer. William is getting so big. How is your apartment etc? What an adventure I am glad you are doing good. We miss ya!

Unknown said...

Yay! you made it! So... I am an idiot when it comes to time zones....What time my time can I call you!

The Spiveys said...

Your boys are soooo cute in the bed :)

Christie said...

I can't even imagine living in another language. I don't know if I would like that or not. Are you going to German Church? That would be weird too. Good luck with everything. ;-) Keep us posted.

Deb said...

housekeeping services.... wow, felicity! enjoy while you can!

Rob & Julie said...

No, Felicity. No.

ahahahahaha!!! ;-D

Es gibt Spaß in Deutschland für Felicity!!