Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving Nathaniel, William and I made the 4 hour drive over into Belgium to celebrate with our friends David and Rita. They were marvelous hosts and spoiled us with delicious meals and tours around their part of the country. I gave William a taste of turkey (Gerber brand) and he hated it. He might have preferred what we were eating, maybe next year. One of the places that David & Rita took us was to Ghent. It was very charming and beautiful. And COLD- though I guess I can't blame the city for that. It was so strange because the part of the country where David and Rita live speaks French. In Ghent they speak only Flemish! I felt even more at a loss for communication than I do here in Germany. We had a fabulous time and were very sad to leave vacation life behind.
The cathedral in Ghent. The inside was amazing with detailed art and sculptures everywhere.



This castle was soo neat! I'm not sure what's up with the spider-web thing though. In this castle they offer a tour of the dungeons and torture devices which, of course, was very intriguing! Unfortunately, William had just (finally) fallen asleep in his stroller and as you can imagine dungeons aren't especially stroller friendly.

William made friends with this Belgium Cow. I think this is the closest I've ever been to a cow!

Nathaniel thought this alley looked cool so he had me pose...

Nathaniel said "Oh see- they did have McDonalds in the 14th century."

Just us two goofballs.


10 comments:

Amber said...

Oh you guys look so cute! I really can't believe how many cool experiences you are having and with the people you love the most. So fun! Keep making lots of great memories!

Angela said...

Wow, that is so cool that you get to travel so much and not have to go too far away from home. Miss you lots! Glad to see you had a great Thanksgiving.Wubba!

Anonymous said...

You have the best of both worlds, castles/romantic sights/torture chambers & McDonalds -- who could ask for more? Looks so fun!

David and Rita said...

two goofballs? then what's that thing attached to nathaniel's hand?

thanks for all the nice stuff you said about your visit with us and for letting us share william.

david

T J V said...

it's so great you guys are getting to do and see so much while you are over there. I bet Christmas will be absolutely gorgeous over there. We miss you.

Julia said...

mcDonalds in the 14th centure--who knew?? Great pics, sounds like you're having a fabulous time!

The Spiveys said...

What is Flemish?? Glad to see you had a good holiday! We miss you! :)

Cami said...

Man, that looks fun. Is that spider web from Halloween and somebody just got lazy?? Good times.

Christie said...

This looks so wonderful. Every time I read your blog, I reconsider the whole Germany idea for the Army pay back time. It looks so fun, and different. What beautiful pictures. Loved the Mc Donalds

Corinne said...

LOVELY LOVELY. So glad you are getting to see so much!!