Friday, April 02, 2010

ER

My, oh my. We keep our hospital in business! Wednesday night I was rocking sweet Andrew and I noticed that he was feeling warm. I took his temperature and it read 100.9. I took him outside to rock for a bit and to cool off, thinking maybe he'd just been bundled too much. It dropped down to a reasonable 100, but quickly popped back up to 100.4. I went to my ever-dependable Doctor Charity and she said to call my pediatrician. Pediatrician said "He's too young, that's a true fever. It can't wait until tomorrow. Take him to the ER." *SIGH* Off we went. At the ER his fever registered at 101.2. Poor sweet Andrew had every test done to him: blood drawn, snot sucked out, urine sample taken (horrible process...), and then a dreaded spinal tap. Bless this sweet child's heart. After his first round of antibiotics and tylenol his fever was gone (never to return) but because it HAD been there we were required to stay at the hospital for 36 hours to wait for the cultures to come back. He's feeling great, just a bit fussy as the antibiotics he's been receiving have been upsetting his stomach. We got a ton of FB love and lots of prayers sent our way. We're so grateful for that, and we're SO grateful that it didn't turn out to be anything serious... he just caught the bug that the rest family had (probably from his kissy brothers!).

Checking out the temporary digs.
I had a serious love/hate relationship with that needle on my baby's arm. Love that it could deliver him medicine to keep him healthy, hate that it ever needed to be there.


Hmm. I'd hate to meet the baby too big for this crib!! Good thing Andrew was clear by 341 lbs!
'I kid you not! That spinal tap needle was this long!"


8 comments:

Mandy said...

Aw Felicity!!! Of all the luck!!! I am so glad little Andrew is feeling better but I can't believe all the stress and hospital visits you've had lately!!! Wishing you all some healthy days ahead, and a beautiful Easter! Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

So SO so glad Andrew is doing better. Man, I hope your ER runs quit soon! Happy Easter!

Teresa said...

Poor sweet baby. And you and Nathaniel too for all this chaos you have been having. Things have to settle down at some point, Right!?!? Hope the warmer weather brings healthier boys and happier life. :)

Jeri said...

I am sorry I missed this. I would have loved to help you in some way. You need a little luck in April...and a little more sleep would be nice too.

CJohnson said...

You'd love to see the 250 lb. Baltimore mamas who climb into those cribs and snuggle up to their baby all night just to get them to sleep. It's a wonderful sight when you are trying to asses the child and you can't find him/her! :)

Cami said...

HA! That last caption is funny. Poor little guy!! I'm so glad he's ok. What a frightening experience!

Cami said...

Oh man, and I meant to call you! I'll be in town next week and I'll bring you a journal. Do you just need one?

Deb said...

yep, now he's got stories to brag to his brothers about. :) SO glad it wasn't serious!

and wow, that IV looks horrible in his little arm!