Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Verdun, France



Last weekend we took advantage of Monday off work and went out of town! We wanted to meet up with family staying in Paris so we met 1/2 way in Verdun. Quick historical recap on Verdun: WWI battle site where 800,000 Germans and French died over 11 months. The Germans charged in there to show their might military prowess and both sides locked horns in the city for 11 deadly months, and then off and on for the remainder of the war. Coincidentally, battle started on the exact day we visited 95 years earlier.

It was breathtaking-- less in the good way, more in the holycrapwhathappenedhere way. It was a great trip though. Kids were good and all the grownups had a greater insight into and appreciation of a piece of history.

Some of my favorite photos: (the entire trips worth can be seen HERE ).

William was adorable and must have been inspired by his poser Aunts Annie and Abby (xoxo girls!) to have suddenly laid down and pose. Love the innocence-- immediately to the viewers right was a huge gun that could rise out of the ground and all around him are craters from gun/canon fire 95 years ago.




It was truly shocking how much of the land and hills that surround the current city looks like this.
Inside Fort Dououmont they had various shells/pieces of shells displaed. William walked up to this and said, "Mom! Look at this one! It's broken.... Cameron broke it." Riiight.


...While Cameron walked up to this piece and said "It's a Kiss mom!" (as in Hershey's kiss). Love these sweet innocent boys. Made me ache for all the mothers of the boys who were holed up there fighting.



We travel in style. See W's hat over on the right? I sat in between the captains seats. haha


The boys were so good even though they were so tired!

5 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so glad you guys are going on so many adventures. I wish I was with you! :-) I really wanted to go this past weekend too but being with child we decided to stay home just in case.

I love all your pictures. I can't believe William posing so cute, that was my favorite too. Seriously what a stud. All your boys are so handsome.

Fun times! Thanks for sharing. Miss you, wish you were awake right now.

Aubrey said...

Love your pics! Something about Verdun really moved me too. Probably my obsessive reading and re-reading of the Anne of Green Gables series. :)

Sidenote: Anyone else absolutely love Rilla of Ingleside?? Just me?? I can't wait for my girls to start reading so I will have someone else to talk about these things with!

Cami said...

Holy MOLY what a crazy place! That picture cracks me up. Hilarious.

Miss M said...

Great pictures Fizz

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

You take amazing pictures! It looks like you guys are having fun. You are such a great mom. Miss you guys though.