Thursday, May 10, 2012

Amsterdam!

April 18

 Nathaniel, gracious soul that he is, agreed to take me to Amsterdam this year for my birthday. A dear friend was willing to take my boys, and so for the first time since having William we got a couple days off to just be a couple, instead of zookeepers parents! Weird! This post is picture heavy... so. you're warned, anyway.

Driving up to our hotel. Holland-- you do not disappoint! 

 I adore the canals throughout the entire city!

 Hello Handsome! You have a much braver pallet than I do! I think this sandwich had thyme, apples, and some fancy cheese. Yeah... I had a grilled cheese sandwich, in true Felicity style. :) 

 I had two sights that i HAD to see: The Anne Frank Haus, and the flowers at Keukenhof. We couldn't take any pictures inside the Anne Frank Haus, but to say it was a cool experience, would be a gross understatement. It was very sobering and strangely exciting to get to touch a piece of history like that. ps- hard to know how it is most appropriate to pose for a picture in front of a place like this... so... oh well.  


 So... these Amsterdamers LOVE bikes. And it shows in their bike locks (which many times look like they might have cost more than the bike itself...). There is an entire bike parking platform at the train station. EVERYWHERE there are bikes!





 We're so cute. 


 Aw. Eye like you too! 

 On our canal tour, we passed innumerable boats parked along the sides. Apparently, this is a no parking zone. ;) 

Some of the house boats that were apparently lived on... didn't look fit for anything but sinking though:


Exhibit A

Exhibit B... and I'll stop there, though I could go on for ever... ;)


 This boat looked more up to snuff! Though... the painting was hideous!

 My favorite picture from the trip. :)


 Cute old lady checking out the on-goings outside her window. :)


 Again-- we're adorable!

 And he's so handsome! 

 Multi tasking A
 and B. Texting and bike riding? Hmm. Sounds safe!

My new nickname for Nathaniel. 

 Another favorite picture. 

 This bike could almost fit our family! I'll just need to add a little seat on the back for Andrew. 

 Whale Turtle Rider, Ho!

 I maybe missed a legend of the great turtle rider?

 ... Um. I don't think you'd see this in the States. 

See the rain? 


 ... because i'm a child at heart...

 Dinner beverage. Weird face on an orange...

Snapple lid wisdom: The average person spends two weeks of their lives kissing. Nathaniel thinks we must be above average then! *wink*wink*

4 comments:

Mandy Benton said...

Loved the pics! I am SOOOO Jealous of your trip away!!! We just keep having babies so there is never a time to get away without having to take a little one with us. If we have to take one, we might as well take them all, huh...hence, we've never been away since Sam was born. Sigh. But I liked looking at your pictures, even if I am super jealous ;-) Happy birthday, and I am glad you got some time to yourself. You deserve it!!!

Yulia said...

Who the heck would have an F cup?? Haha! Great picture tour once again! I was in Amsterdam last fall and didn't get to see neither Ann Frank's house nor Keukenhof. BUT, I went to Zaanse Schans village instead, and it was so totally worth it! Go there if you get a chance.

Corinne said...

I have been thinking about you and your houseful of boys lately. The idea of being zookeepers made me laugh :)

Kellie said...

Fun times! Amsterdam is on our list! Either there or Haarlem for the Corrie Ten Boom house. I miss you!