Monday, July 02, 2012

Keukenhof!

April 19

Polite reminders have begun to come in along the lines of : "remember your blog????"
Poor blog-- I do remember you... sometimes. You really have been not even on the back-burner, but off the stove altogether. I can only justify myself by offering anyone the opportunity to come spend the day with my three boys... and see if they have time to blog. :)

SO. Picking up where we left off.... 
Day two of my Birthday retreat away from the little ones! Nathaniel found us a sweet little hotel that overlooked the Keukenhof grounds. We even walked to the main entrance. This is the view along the way. 


Since we opted against the hotel breakfast, we stopped at a little market on the way there. From the outside it looked promising!

 But. It was weird. Weird Dutch gas-station breakfast food. No. Bueno. 

 Hoofdingang (aka entrance). Dutch is the craziest language! 

 The obligatory photos of ourselves in oversized wooden shoes... :) 
 Have I mentioned how COLD it was? Also with the threat of rain all day... but it missed us. We were well on our way by the time the drops came down. 

Stay away girls. He's my honey.  

 Fancy Flowers! IF memory serves me correctly, this was Chopin's portrait... via flowers. 

"A" we're Adorable...

Call me crazy, but I was endlessly bothered by wondering what became of all of these fields of flowers... Were they cut and sold? Just growing to entertain the high-price-paying keukenhof visitors? No one could tell me. 

 Silly Nathaniel kept trying to pose me. This is after a failed attempt. haha!

*sigh*

 I'm just not nearly as photogenic as he is:




 Ah! Happiness is sitting together in a giant shoe!

Seriously. This guy is amazing. 

 Can you find Felicity? This is probably the most random "put your face here" type things that I've ever seen. I freaked out a few people walking in front of me, which was entertaining though. ;) 

 I have dozens of shots of flowers. I'll spare you all but this one...


.. and this one. :) 

1 comment:

David said...

what becomes of the fields of flowers? they cut them off, pile them in barges, and take them to the compost bin. then they sell the bulbs. seriously. the bulbs are the crop, and they cut the flowers as soon as they bloom so that they don't draw nutrients away from the bulb and it can be as big and fat as possible. vreemd, vinnie niet?