Monday, December 17, 2007

Battle of the Bulge

Last Saturday Nathaniel and I joined our friends, the Steffens, on a trip to Bastogne, Belgium to participate in a walk commemorating the Battle of the Bulge. Having a history of pathetic history teachers- I had no clue what this was until Friday night before the event. It was an amazing event with WWII cars, attire, and decked out soldiers everywhere. I walked with Lisa, her son Colin and William on a shorter version of the walk and the rest of the men walked the 12 mile length. The countryside was so beautiful and it was so sad to imagine the scene that took place there.

Nathaniel with some enthusiastic participants. The man on the left said his foot had been bothering him, so he'd be riding his 1944 bike on the trip instead!
Nathaniel and Matthew in the foxhole.
Me (showing them how it's done) and Nathaniel. The foxhole was really decked out! There was ammunition, 1940's soda bottles, maps, radios, military gear...
I cannot even express to you how FREEZING COLD it was that day. William was a trouper for about 2/3 of the trip and I ended out having to carry him the rest of the way. Poor little lamb (though, this is a bear hat!).

Nice Christmas decorations- grenades and bullets!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing experiences you are having! You need to layer on that thermal underwear! brrrrr

Kellie said...

What a bittersweet day. The war is still so present in Europe. We are so sheltered over here I think. I'm glad it was a good experience for you.

T J V said...

that must have been an awesome experience to participate in, and makes you so thankful for the blessings we have in the US.