Last week William started getting sick on Thursday. This is how he looked a good portion of Thursday through Sunday:

That said- William and I barely got any sleep Thursday or Friday night, but we did our best. On Saturday we did our errands in the morning and then decided to go check out a town that a friend told us we
must see,
Rudesheim. I plugged "
Rudesheim" into the GPS, couldn't find any of the street names that matched up with what I saw on the map I had of the down town, so I just picked to go to the city center. Thirty minutes later we were plugging through this
po-dunk town wondering "Where is the
Rhein?""Why would she send us HERE?" Again, turning my attention to the GPS- I plugged in
Rudesheim again and started looking around. Ah
hah. There are, of course, TWO
Rudesheims within 1/2 hour of each other. I don't know why I wasn't on the lookout for that sooner. There are 3
Greisheims, 2
Rudesheims and I don't even know all the other duplicates. WHY do that?! I just don't get Germany, I guess! So- GPS says 25 minutes to the desired
Rudesheim so we decided to go. Diligently following Dan, our GPS voice, we end up headed onto a FERRY. Confused by this (are we simple? or were we just caught off guard?) we turned back and drove into the main town following signs to a tourist office...which was closed at 3pm on a Saturday (again- I don't get Germany). So- putting our faith back in Dan- we headed onto the ferry. I love love love boats and somehow it was a huge thrill to sit in our car on a one! We got out for a quick photo opp. Nathaniel was trying to get in us with a church that is on the hill behind us:

Finally reaching our destination- we found the Christmas market. There were people everywhere! We mostly just window shopped...except at the crepe stand where we had ham & cheese crepes for dinner and then strawberry jam/
nutella crepes for dessert. :) This market was the biggest that I've been to yet. They even had a little pony rides for kids!

We even managed to meet St. Nicholas. William was very intrigued by him.
At one stand we saw a man lighting off these balloon things. They looked really amazing in the sky after they went up. Unfortunately- moments after I stopped recording this one the entire thing went up in flames and the guy who had lit it had to run to find where it was going to land. oops!
7 comments:
Adventures being lost in Europe. I love it. Thank goodness for Dan. St Nicholas is cool-looking-very pope-like and all that. What a cultural feast.
Wow! Looks like so much fun. I'm glad you guys are having such a fun adventure!
I am so glad you are taking advantage of your surroundings! Sounds like (barring the sick William) you're having a great time. :)
Awesome. I hope that those "ooohhhh"s turned into screams of terror as it burst into flames and ravaged the city! Ok, probably it wasn't that big of a deal, but it would have been exciting!
you would think dan could have told you about the duplicates!!! i agree that is strange but all looks like it ended well. and ferries really are fun, haha. hope william is feeling better.
You seem to be having the neatest experiences. That little light up thing was cool. I liked that Santa too. I hope that William is feeling so much better. :-)
That is the coolest "baby with Santa" photo I've seen all month. Hmm... maybe next year he'll scream in terror. ;)
Post a Comment