Okay, so I'm fired. I meant to post these a while ago but then Nathaniel got
very sick (poor guy- his cold got so bad it burst his ear drum! He is currently still hearing impared!). Then the internet at our hotel went out. If you don't know this, I'll let you in on a little something. Germans go about the whole customer service thing WAY differently than we do back home. Oh well, it's fixed now. So, without further ado, here are our final two days of vacation.

St. Germain en Laye- A place where Nathaniel served on his mission. This castle was a spot that they would take all the new missionaries after they picked them up at the airport! I LOVED the castle! We were really bummed to not be able to go inside, but apparently Tuesday is the day that most museums are closed or only open 1/2 day.

Paris is in the distance behind Nathaniel.



I think that part of what made this castle so cool is that it had a MOAT. This funky aligator pit (?) was in the bottom of it. :)


Another strange thing in the moat.

This is the corner where 10 years ago Nathaniel would do "street boarding" and contacting.

View from La Defense of the Arche de Triomphe. I had no idea until that day that they were in perfect alignment.

La Defense

Nathaniel HAD to show me this. Random!

William got a little stir crazy in the stroller at the train station so we had to let him out (yuck!). He went straight for the bright green wall so he would blend in!

Versailles! I was so excited to go, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The city is so built up around it that I think it really takes away from the romance of it. It was a beautiful building though and I'm so happy that I was able to see it.

Who would have thought that gophers tear up the ground under Versailles? :)

Amazing. I'd hate to mow the lawns though.
Day 4:
On the way home Nathaniel was very excited to take me to his favorite castle. Vaux-le-Vicomte. It is a privately-owned estate where The Man in the Iron Mask was filmed.

The drive up was beautiful.

I can't tell you how bummed we were to arrive and see the gates locked. Apparently they were closed until March 15. Even so, it is now my favorite castle. I love that it is still so separate in the country and not commercialized like others that I've been to.

After leaving the castle, our drive home took us through Verdun. How could we resist stopping to explore the town a little bit and hit at least one monument (which turned out to be a 3-hour detour...). This monument is the Montsec American Monument. The plaque with information is pictured a few down, but essentially in WWI the Germans had held this mountain top for 4 years when 550,000 American and over 100,000 French troops took it over. Pretty amazing.

Nathaniel didn't know I was taking his picture here. He'd just read the plaque and was amazed and telling me what took place here almost 100 years ago.

View from the top of the peak. You can see why this was such an important stronghold to have. It offered a 360 view for miles around.
Nathaniel and I were happy to have the opportunity to connect a little bit with history here. It's so easy to ignore and forget what happened in past wars, especially since so much of it took place out of our own country. It's pretty humbling.
7 comments:
Wow! You really packed a lot in. All the pictures are beautiful. What an amazing trip!
awesomeness. makes me realize just how crappy my apartment is.
I'm realizing how much of the world I've never seen. Holy cow I want to go see those castles. Enjoy yourselves! So sorry about Nathaniel's ears. Ouch. I got an infection too, but got drugs right away. Hope he's better.
Thanks for sharing! I am proud of you for fitting so much in such a short time. I loved that castle too. I MUST get to Europe. ;)
I can't believe how much you guys do in just a few days. Man, William must be the best little traveler. All your pictures just make me want to go to Paris, all of France really, so much more.
Felicity, Felicity, Felicity. You're making my days of laundry and diaper changing look boring. ;o) I'm glad you guys are having such an amazing time over there. We miss you guys! Come see us soon!
Nice!!! I rode a bike around the grounds at Versailles- it was awesome.. -rob
Post a Comment