Yesterday was Nathaniel's big marathon day! He's been training so hard for 10 months. I think we were both ready for it to be over. ;) Nathaniel drove up to Mannheim and I took the train up several hours later so I could be there for the big finish and drive my conquering hero home. The train ride was lovely. No kids to look after! I just kicked my feet up and enjoyed the scenery:
I arrived in Mannheim and took in the sights and atmosphere. It's a beautiful city; we'll have to visit again with the kiddos.
As I walked around I thought about my passionate Nathaniel. Running so fast and so far, while I was much more contents to just watch the 1/2 marathoners come in while I ate my kitkat. :)
There were thousands of participants in the days races and people were pumped. Music was blaring. The entire place was a big party. Even this guy seemed to be having a good time.
Well before N's goal time (3:40), I took my place up in clear view of the finish line. I anxiously watched and my heart lept a little every time I saw a white tank-top/white hat combo.... I watched up at that podium for an hour and a half more and still had not spotted MY white tank-top/white hat man. Then I started to feel like a fool... I had to have missed him.... RIGHT? I mean there were thousands of runners... But even while feeling foolish, sneaky 'visions' crept into view... my husband has been kidnapped! He's been taken away by ambulance! He's broken his leg! How will I find the car he drove here to get home to relieve our sitter? Oh, the imaginative heart of a loving wife.Turns out....
I was only partly right.
...
...on the ambulance part.
Still figuring out what the diagnosis is (major language barrier happening there). A blood infection? Heat stroke? Not sure yet. He was very dehydrated as the result of... details I'll spare our readers. He's okay. Honestly, I think it's kinda a more fun marathon ending then just running across the same ol' finish line everyone else ran over (but that's just the non-runner in me, and plus-- I'm not the one hooked up to an IV in a quarantine room overnight).I love you, baby. I will come rescue you from your Klinck tower.
Love, your knightess in shining armor.



12 comments:
Oh my goodness! Poor Nathaniel! I loved reading this though.. I seriously was at the edge of my chair. Love it. Good job!
Felicity....you had me hanging on your every word! The story isn't finished....when did they pick him up? When you spoken to him what was his version....poor baby. That hospital shot looks so old days, even the lighting is so weird. I truly hope he's okay, that they are able to figure stuff out. Don't spare me any details ;) (you're a very talented writer)
I know Nathaniel is in perfect standing w/the Lord, He'll watch over him & get you guys thru this. Give him a hug from us and i look forward to reading the next chapter....love you
Hope Nathaniel is completely recovered, and soon. Loved your post, and we miss your family bunches. Hurry back to Maryland!
Oh my word!!!! That is crazy. I hope he recovers quickly. But, I'm sure this won't stop N from running in another marathon.
Holy Cow. I'm so sorry he got sick but glad he has a knightess like you to rescue him! We'll be thinking of him.
A couple of my thoughts for you.:-)
1.I feel so bad for Nathaniel. After training for that long, I bet he was so frustrated. That is too bad.
2. How did you ever find him?
3. I am so glad the boys weren't with you while you were lost from your hubby. Then you could fully concentrate on how to find him and what was happening.
4. We have complete confidence in the German medical care. We have experience with a 3 year olds broken leg, a 1 year olds hernia, and then of course a pregnancy and delivery. They do a fantastic job of getting you better.
Hope he recovers quickly. And so glad to hear everything is OK.
Eek! that stinks! i hope they fix him up quickly!
I, too, have SO many questions! Hope he's feeling better soon. And I can't wait for the continuation of the story.
Oh no! He looks so helpless and yet so strong lying there-- it's disorienting! Is he going to be okay??
And, you are a super good wife. That goes without saying, but I said it anyway. :)
FRIEND! That certainly IS more exciting but not necessarily less stressful :)
I've forwarded it on to Clint, we want details!!!
Wow, that was a great story. Very well told. Like the others, though, I'm not sure it's finished. What happened??
I'm sure he'll be ok soon, you don't actually sound that worried (maybe that was just for the story though). Keeping you and Nathanial in my thoughts and prayers!
Oh no! After all that hard work! That is not great. Great post for a sad day!
Post a Comment