Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Going on a sentimental journey...


Every time I stay at my mom's house in Sugar House (SLC), it never fails that I feel like I should still be a teenager in high school. From my old bedroom I peek out over at the neighbor's house, but a new fence blocks the view and the family I knew so well moved several years ago. Sitting out on the front porch with the phone I rack my brain wondering which of my friends I can call to come play, but they're all home with their families. It's amazing. It's been eight years since I've lived here, but I still feel like this house in the summer requires late night star gazing in the back yard, runs to "sev", gossip and giggles, cookie dough, and friends sleeping over. Maybe when my baby grows up he'll enjoy the same wonderful sentimental things, for now, he's sleeping soundly in a bassinet behind me. It is in a small way surreal that I am not in high school; I'm a wife and a mommy living a wonderful life in Maryland. I am always just amazed at how coming home sometimes feels like entering this bubble- a different realm and a flashback to the past. It is so comfortable to be here. It makes me so happy. As I was out on the front porch hanging out in a rocking chair watching neighbors (none of whom I know now) setting off fireworks (oh yeah... happy pioneer day! and happy birthday Leighton!), first I missed the "good ol' days" of popsicles and girlfriends, then I really just missed Nathaniel and wished that he was sitting there rocking with me. And then I imagined us old and holding hands out rocking on the porch together still. Life is short, sometimes that reality just hits you right in your daydream. One day I'm out on the front porch dreaming of my little family that my future will hold, and the next I'm out on the same front porch having met said teenage dream, and it doesn't really seem like all that much time has passed. I'll stop there, before I get too sappy. Plus- my thoughts are way disorganized, and I'm a bit too sleepy to fix it all. I hope that ya'll had a happy Pioneer Day and that all you HP fans are enjoying the Deathly Hallows. I'm on chapter ten, but unfortunately a woman behind me at church TOTALLY spoiled the end. I'm SO BUMMED!

7 comments:

The Spiveys said...

That stinks someone spoiled the book for you! I'm not a HP fan but I can appreciate how dissapointing that is. Boo. And I know exactly what you mean about going home. It will always be "home" even if everything changes. I had that exact same feeling this weekend!

Misty said...

What a wonderful post. I often feel that way. It's weird to find old friends (like Aubrey and Heather) and realized they've grown up too. Can you believe the world goes on without you. I often get too involved in my thoughts and have to come back to reality. Anyway, so sorry about HP. I am a big fan and finished it the night of the 21st. It really is a good book, and while you may know the ending JK will take you on so many ups and downs, you won' be dissappointed!

Loves

Cami said...

I love this post. I feel like that sometimes, I guess we all do.

What a horrible woman, spoiling the book!

Anonymous said...

I love you, sweetheart. I very much look forward to rocking on the front porch with you 50 years from now. You are wonderful, Felicity. Love, N

Unknown said...

Oh my dear Fizzy! I felt the same way when I went to see the fireworks at highland on the 4th! It was if I could literally smell the sweet memories in the air! I love when you come to visit and for a slight moment it's as if we are right back to those special days! Thanks your friendship!
LOVE YOU MUCH!

Christie said...

I loved this post! I totally know how you feel. There is just something about going back to that house. I could go on, but wont. I hope you have enjoyed your visit.

Kellie said...

What sweet memories. Your writing is excellent, Felicity. Keep it up. This made me feel exactly what you were feeling.