Saturday, September 24, 2011

Villers-la-Ville, Belgium



Isn't this spot amazing? We had never heard of these ruins before and at N's aunt house we just happened to see a little advertisement for it. I'm SO glad we went. It was a major highlight of the trip (seriously-- way better than Brussels).

It was a community of monks and lay-brothers, but was left to ruin in 1796... I still don't get quite why or how. It's incredible to visit though-- probably more impressive and interesting than had it never fallen apart.




Fall colors, gorgeous light, and a few beautiful boys = one giddy photographer.


The older he gets, the more I feel like I'm looking at a mini-Nathaniel. He'll look just like his father and grandfather!


Checking out the prison. Why there was a prison in a monastery-- I don't quite get, but that's alright. ;)




Big boy! We were nearly the only ones there so Andrew got to have a lot of freedom. He was a happy boy to get out of the stroller!


Hey, good looking.


Ick. I had to put it in because Nathaniel took such care to take a ton of pictures of me-- most turned out horrible (not his fault-- his subject is not as photogenic as he is!).


Our kids were remarkably awful travelers for this entire trip. I guess we were due for this to happen-- they'd been so good and flexible the rest of the summer. Even so, this picture is hilarious.


Remains of the cathedral looking out the back...

... to the side...




... and to the front. So cool.

4 comments:

Deb said...

that is completely awesome.

Emlyn said...

Gorgeous! Great photos.

Corinne said...

I want you to know that I just looked at EVERY SINGLE POST from France Day 1 Part 1 until now. Fantastic. heavenly. That last picture on this post, though - is the one that caught my eye the most. Incredible.

Plus, your commentary slays me.

Also, 3/4 of my family pictures are fails too. Maybe 11/12 :)

Julia said...

Wow, that was amazing. I especially loved the ruins, too. And what a cute picture of "Little Boy Crying" :D